Does your website Home Page copy steal potential customers from your biggest competitors?
No? … Why not?
So… You do a Google search, click on one of the results, and when it shows up on your screen… you’re blown away by the excitement you feel when you see “WELCOME TO MY WEBSITE”.
Sorry… a little sarcasm. But I do have a point.
Your website’s home page is arguably the most important page on your site, because it’s usually the one most readers will see first.
That means it will probably be your only chance to make a great impression on a potential customer, and persuade them to contact you.
So does the word “Welcome” really tell you anything useful about the company, or compel you to keep reading? Nope… didn’t think so.
Home page’s critical to online success
That being said, the home page copy has several critical jobs to do, and it must do them quickly or your prospect simply moves on to your competitor’s site.
So here’s a short and easy test you can perform on your own home page to see if it’s up to snuff or not…
FYI*** Sometimes it’s tough to be objective, so you may want to have a friend look at your site and do the test for you.
- Does your page have a headline that gets your attention by including the words you used in your search?
- Does the headline give you any reason to read the first sentence?
- Can you tell within 3 or 4 seconds if your products and services can solve the reader’s problem? (i.e. why they are there)
- Does your copy show the immediate customer benefits in a way they can understand?
- Is the copy clear and concise?
- Does your copy include several variations of your keyword phrases, and still sound “natural” to the reader?
- Do you show testimonials or other proof elements?
- Does your home page establish trust while starting to build a relationship with the reader?
- Do you have a powerful call-to-action that tells them what the next step is? (call, e-mail, stop by)
- The list goes on, but these are some of the key elements in writing a great and persuasive home page that attracts new customers, and persuades them to start a business relationship with your company.
Phew… This portion of the test is done now. In a nutshell, the more “yes” answers you have, the better your copy is. Any “no” answers… and you need to work on it to make it better.
Home Page copy is king. It’s the glue that holds your whole website together, and it has a lot of responsibility.
And it can make the difference between a website that just sits there, and one that generates new prospects and clients for your business.
If you don’t have the time or expertise to write great copy for your home page, just e-mail me or call me at 603-686-5140 and I can take care of it for you.
What are your thoughts?
If you need help with website design, writing SEO optimized web copy, email marketing, or other online marketing strategies, I can help!
To your marketing success!
Website and Marketing Copywriter
Join my discussion by leaving a comment below…